This is just my way of doing this - by no means an "official" or "approved" technique.
Seems to have worked okay, thankfully! Whew! So far, so good!
I used Hahnemuhle Sumi-E rice paper to make the tabs as it is a strong but lightweight paper.
Cut 2 strips 10cm x 3cm. (The work I am hanging is 61cm x 40cm).
Fold the strip down leaving 2cm overlap.
Now, fold the doubled-up section in half onto itself.
With the top section folded down, mark centre lines.
Punch a hole through all layers.
Using minimal cornflour paste, glue the folded section down.
Here's my recipe for cornflour paste which is archival and very quick and easy to make.
Put a weight on the tabs and leave them to dry flat.
Glue two tabs at the top of the artwork, lining the fold on the tab up with the top of the work.
Weight all the tabs down to dry flat.
The tabs can be either unfolded and sit ABOVE the top of the artwork or they can be folded DOWN and remain invisible. This is my preferred option. Being unsure what the curators' intentions are in hanging the show I decided to allow for flexibility. The tabs can be cut down or could be gently soaked off if they need to be removed.
You could alternatively use purchased archival
however, as this is not a regular requirement for me,
I didn't want the extra cost.
I'm keen to hear of any alternate ways to do this
so please comment below.
I'd love to hear from you!