Tuesday 2 May 2017

I went for a walk and what did I see....


I recently took advantage of some late summer sun and took a stroll along the beach at Piha on Auckland's wild west coast, although it wasn't so much "wild and woolly" on this day, more like the 60's definition of wild as in freakazoidally gorgeous! One whiff of the sea air, wherever I am, and my mind clears, I breathe deeper and slower and my eyes are on stalks looking, looking, looking everywhere - so much beauty, so much colour... patterns, shapes, reflections....  

and I got to thinking...  

my family gave up walking with me as I wouldn't, couldn't keep up, keep in pace, keep engaged with the conversation - so much to see, so many bright shiny things to distract me, to make me dart off, duck low to catch the light, back track to see... what WAS that thingy I just saw, ooooh look at that pattern in the sand, oh wow! bubbles going in circles! oh my! look at the colour of the sea, AGAIN! 

So, yes I got to thinking...    

there's often criticism that people should stop seeing the world through their devices and look at what's actually in front of them in the real world, in the here and now. And yes, I totally agree especially when I see people constantly stopping to take selfies in front of this, in front of that. And I was feeling self-conscious about repeatedly stopping to take photos. Then, the more I looked, for the right angle to capture a particular reflection, a glint of light, a pattern, a detail, the more I looked for more to see. I realized that in looking for things to catch my eye, I looked harder and closer and perhaps I saw more. I know I saw more than if I had just simply walked down the beach discussing the news of the day! 

Here's a mere snippet of the smorgasbord of "yum!" I saw on my walk:


















 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your feedback or comments. Thanks for visiting! Please remember to credit tonihartillart.blogspot.com when sharing or using any of my images or information.