Tuesday 14 December 2021

"Where the Seabirds Go" opens at last!



Toni Hartill



I have a couple of small works in this exhibition, featuring the Buller's Albatross. Made quite some time ago, way back in May in fact, they are now hanging in the exhibition and able to be viewed along with all of the other wonderful works by local artists.


SCROLL DOWN to see the Making-of pics 
and the Completed Images..




"Where the Seabirds Go"
Estuary Arts Centre,
Orewa

14 Dec - 9 January
.
Opening event
18 Dec, 3-5pm

Bookings essential as numbers are limited:
 Email: Kim Boyd at manager@estuaryarts.org

Note: Under the new Covid-19 protection Framework 
Estuary Arts Centre can hold an event up to 100 people.

A Vaccination Pass is necessary.

Facemasks are encouraged.





"New Zealand is often called the "seabird capital of the world", 
yet since the 1950's seabirds numbers around our shores have 
declined by over 70%. This year over 30 artists 
are attempting to find out why."


This exhibition has been organised, tenaciously and expertly, by Val Cuthbert, rescheduling a number of times through our latest lengthy lockdown and now finally it is open to view!

Well worth a trip to the Hibiscus Coast to view works by over 30 local NZ artists.  




Milford Sound, NZ



Buller's Albatross

After MUCH dithering I chose to focus my research for this project on the plight of the Buller's Albatross (or Mollymawk). It wasn't an easy choice, however having had the opportunity to watch these stunning birds fly all around our boat as we motored a short way out of the entrance to Milford Sound earlier this year, it seemed like a sign! Pick me! So I did. My camera battery had long since died, due to excessive clicking by the time we got outside of the sound, so I have to make do with the images etched in my memory. And they are! So beautiful!



The Making Of

As is often the case, I had loose ideas of where I might be heading with with my image but I particularly wanted to focus on the threat that is posed to these, and many seabirds, by the fishing industry on their long migrations.

I began with the idea of probably using multiple blocks to create the image and a background. 


Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill


Trialling the use of a circular 2nd block


Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill


After MANY experiments  using different media I finally decided on how to create a soft background with the addition of  migrating birds using stencils and hand drawn flight paths using speedy and direct drawing on top of the prints. This took a fair bit of practice and a lot of "just go for it!" attitude to draw the lines smoothly and confidently. 

I attempted to channel the Karate Kid to get in the zone to not botch up the prints! As I wanted the edition of 10 prints to be consistent I had to practice the "moves" and be able to repeat it 10 times without error. There are slight variations, of course, in the drawing of the lines - I'm not a machine after all.


Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill


Toni Hartill


Of course, in the process of creating this image, the old grey matter got ticking about other ideas for backgrounds. Fossicking amongst my printed textures and sketchbooks I again experimented with possibilities.




Toni Hartill


Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill

Toni Hartill


In the process of experimenting with possible colours I began cutting out multiple birds and...


Toni Hartill


before I knew it, I had quite an audience...

Toni Hartill


which needed a way to help them stand up so they could offer their assistance - no small distraction. 


Toni Hartill


Back on task:

My speedy circle cutter - patent pending!


Toni Hartill



Toni Hartill




The final task with any project is ALWAYS to write up my notes 
so  that I know how I made these works for future reference.
No, I will never just remember.
Yes, my future self thanks me.

And yes, you should do  it too!



Toni Hartill




Stop Motion: cutting the lino block






Completed Images


Both these images are framed and exhibited at Estuary Arts Centre.

I am also including an unframed print of "Flight Interrupted" which will be available to purchase and take away during the exhibition.


(I've also included a couple of prints of of my recent linocut "A Cautious Reopening" - the continuing saga of my snails being released from lockdown, which are also available to take away, cash and carry.)


Toni Hartill

"Flight Interrupted"

Linocut, stencil, coloured pencil

Limited Edition of 10, variable.



Toni Hartill


"The Price of Fish"

Linocut, cut and layered



Statement:


Buller’s Mollymawks are one of  the smallest of the albatrosses and endemic to New Zealand.

The southern subspecies breeds on islands off the southern coasts of NZ such as Snares Island, Solander Islands and Chatham Islands. They are unusual in that they breed in dense woody vegetation which often requires a walk of up to 100m inland.  As annual breeders they usually return to the same nest site year after year with the same partner. After breeding the colonies are deserted and the birds migrate across the Pacific to seas off Chile and Peru.

Buller’s Mollymawks are commonly seen killed as a result of scavenging behind fishing boats, with demersal long-liners and trawling operations responsible for the majority of mortalities.



I hope, if you are able, you can get along to see the exhibition.

Reminder: you need to book your place to attend 

the opening on Saturday 18th, 3-5pm.

Email: Kim Boyd at manager@estuaryarts.org

Masks are encouraged.

Vax passes are required.




Thanks for stopping by!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your feedback or comments. Thanks for visiting! Please remember to credit tonihartillart.blogspot.com when sharing or using any of my images or information.